This year I'm reminded of something I wrote in my blog that I posted five years ago, when I was only fifteen (its gone now). Just felt it important that I should share it again. Hoping it will bless someone, even as we remember the birth of our Saviour.
The angel went to her and said, “Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you.”
- Luke 1:28
When I was fifteen, I was reading the Bible and it occurred to me that being brought up in a Christian home, I've always been taught so well that Mary and Joseph were the earthly parents of Jesus Christ. But I wondered, what was it about Mary that God chose her? I mean, to be given the responsibility to be the mother of the Messiah was a huge responsibility indeed. She was definitely not chosen at random but given so much thought. Out of everyone in the entire world, it was her that God picked. I found that too amazing and something in me, wanted that too. She was so highly favoured! This world is so full of people crying out that they need God one second or another. Many, even saying that they love God and that's awesome! But I yearned to understand how to catch the Lord's attention in this sea of people who loved Him. I wanted Him to choose me.
So what was it about Mary?
So what was it about Mary?
1) The angel appeared to Mary and explained to her that she was to bear a son who would be the Son of the Most High, even though she was a virgin, for nothing is impossible with God. I mean if I were Mary, that's really heavy news to take in and really big shoes to fill, but even at that second, she knew how to reply. She didn't figure if she was capable of doing it, she just did. She didn't stop to doubt herself but found it an honour. If I put myself in her shoes, her simple act of obeying was really willingly giving up her entire life in one response. Can you imagine going to your parents after this word from the Lord and telling them you are pregnant because the Holy Spirit filled you? I asked my mum (who really loves the Lord) if she would even believe me and she said probably not. I honestly think, she would have given me a slap on my face. Can you imagine how everyone in your town would look at you? All your relatives and friends and people in the church (temple at that time)? That's kind of crazy and I'm sure she would have realised all that. Her town at that time must have really shunned these things. She was pregnant before she was married. Now I understand why in Luke 2:19, Mary treasured up many things and pondered them in her heart. How would you even tell anyone that this was of the Lord?
Also, I've always heard that time tells all things but in Mary's case, even to the end of her lifetime, she would have to endure the thought of a completely wrong image of her in other peoples' heads. Truly, she lived not for herself one bit. She cared not about how she seemed in front of others and she was willing to endure rejection from her friends and family. She gave up her entire life and any personal dreams of her future, at that one second because she must have been prepared for the Lord to call her all this while. Mary had nothing much. She didn't have any great talents, she wasn't completely outspoken but all she had to be was to be a girl, and God used that. She was so ordinary, she was probably timid but she was willing to give up every little thing she had for the Lord. She didn't even need to think twice.
2) Yes, Mary was special and obedient but ALSO, she was pledged to be married to the right man. This man, Joseph must have been way devastated when he heard that she was pregnant but he still cared enough to do what he needed to do quietly so as to not expose her to public disgrace. He must have been walking closely with the Lord, enough to flow with what the angel told him in a dream and immediately take on this calling upon himself. He was a descendant of David and he was a good man; one that the Lord deemed worthy of being the earthly father of His Son.
So, God chose Mary not only because of her but because BOTH of them were pleasing in the sight of God. They both individually were careful in their walk with God, so as to be used at any instance of God's choice. A couple that pleased the Lord so much, that He was able to trust them with His most precious gift. They both fulfilled God's list of approval for they both loved the Lord with their lives.
In other words, who you spend your life with is too important. It actually has the power to determine the capacity in which the Lord will use you. Don't merely live a right life but also, when the time is right, find your 'Joseph' or 'Mary' who shares the same vision as you and is able to fulfil God's purpose together with you. Living a right life but finding the wrong partner to spend it with might limit the greatness of the calling over your life. It might take away greater opportunities and purposes installed for you.
And even if you are in a healthy, God-pleasing relationship right now, always be prepared for when the Lord chooses to use both of you. It would be an amazing journey together with each other and Him.
Think of it; if Mary loved the wrong man, would God choose her to be the earthly mother of Jesus? Would He want His Only Son to have an amazing mum but an unsuitable earthly father?
I'm not saying I've got it all figured out yet. I'm also still too young, but writing this is a reminder to myself that it's so important to find that right person (not just who goes to church, but who really lives unreservedly for the Lord) for this is nearly as important as living a right life yourself. I've always believed that the Lord loves when we find the balance in all things, and through this, I catch a glimpse of how important a godly and united family is to our God. :)
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! :)
xx.




No comments:
Post a Comment